'''The Station nightclub fire''' occurred on Thursday, February 20, 2003, in West Warwick, Rhode Island
. The fire was caused by pyrotechnics
set off by the tour manager of the evening's headlining band Great White
, which ignited flammable sound insulation foam in the walls and ceilings surrounding the stage. A fast-moving fire engulfed the club in 5½ minutes. Video footage of the fire shows its ignition, rapid growth, the billowing smoke that quickly made escape impossible, and the exit blockage that further hindered evacuation.
The toxic smoke, heat and the stampede of people toward the exits killed 100; 230 were injured and another 132 escaped uninjured. Many of the survivors developed posttraumatic stress disorder
as a result of psychological trauma.
It was the fourth-deadliest nightclub fire in U.S. history, killing 100 people. It was one of the deadliest disasters in the history of New England
. Because it was a...